Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The little things...

OH the joys in the little things... I am just so excited! My neurotic-mess-of-a-self is finally coming around to becoming organized for real, in REAL life! No more piling here or there, no more procrastination, I'm going to do it now, to make a better home for ME and my FAMILY! Okay, what ARE you talking about, Shannon? I am talking about the recipe binder I have been wanting to put together of all the recipes that I print off the web (practically daily), that's what! ;) I have been collecting for YEARS, literally, and my current binder (one that my darling BEO sisters gave to me when Bryan and I got married, is over flowing with recipes, magazine tear-outs,etc. What a mess! And to try and find a recipe that I once fixed, that the whole family enjoyed, that was easy to fix, it's not here! OH forget it, let's eat out tonight. Enough of that mentality. I love to cook new recipes for my family. They enjoy most of them, too! So, to change this mess into something organized, to find what I want, easy to flip through, AND something that is nice to look at too, here's what I'm going to do...

Okay, so now is the perfect time, it's back-to-school and the stores are brimming with school supplies, including some really cool binders! Yes, me the crafter, taking the easy way out and not "altering" a binder. Hey, I need to take one step at time. And actually, that IS another reason why I have the mess I do... I've wanted to alter my own binder to put them in, but just don't get one done!
Anyways, off to Walmart, because Braden still needed markers for school, and I needed deodorant. ( I won't go there) ;)
This is what I came up with. I love the bold stripes and brightness about it, along with the contrasting polka dots on the inside! I also bought poly dividers, repositionable poly tabs, and sheet protectors (cuz I can be a messy cook). Each divider has a pocket in them, so that when I do find another recipe, I can place it in the pocket until it's worthy of adding to the book. (It actually has to be a yummy recipe before it goes in!)
I do have a slight problem, however. I have a ton of stinkin' recipes! It's basically full now! And I still have loose recipes laying about. Okay, I admit. Some of them have not been tried and tested, so they may not be worthy of being there. But on paper, they sound delicious!

On another note, I wanted to share something. This lady is going to be at the Women of Faith event in Dallas this weekend, which I am attending (for the first time). I am going with my friend Michele and a group of ladies from her neck of the woods. I absolutely can't wait! I really don't know what to expect, but I do know that it's some time for me, which I really could use about now. I have not seen Anita Renfroe live, but you have to check out her site. As a mom of three, she has a comical way of inspiring moms from all walks of life, all along with serious moments of faith. She has been described as “a triple shot of espresso in a decaf world". She makes you laugh and cry and bond with one another like never before. I just can't wait to see her. She has numerous books, dvds, cds, and who knows what else. I just can't forget my purse! lol

I guess before I go, I have this overwhelming idea of sharing one of my "newly organized and filed recipes with you! I am not sure where it originally came from, but in actuality- this is a result of a couple recipes combined. I hope you enjoy!
Hugs,
Shannon

PORK AND POTATO CASSEROLE

A good shepherds pie/pot pie combo! Mmm Mmm good!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
4 Tbls butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning (thyme, sage,tarrogon)
1/8 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/ 1/2 cups diced roast pork
1 1/2 cups (10 oz pkg) frozen peas and carrots, cooked and drained

4 cups prepared seasoned mashed potatoes
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2-1 cup shredded cheese, optional

Preparation:
Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat; add onion and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended; add salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Gradually add broth and water, stirring until thickened and bubbly.

Add the diced pork and vegetables; heat through. Add sour cream. Pour into a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spoon prepared mashed potatoes evenly over the mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, topping with cheese the last 5 minutes, if desired. Serves 4

Add a big green salad and a whole wheat dinner roll and be prepared for something REALLY tasty!



1 comment:

Tammy said...

That is SO funny! The notebook/binder that you bought is SO what I have used since I started school 2 years ago! I always go to Wally world just to get that style. The brown with pink polka dots is my favorite!! We are such sisters!! Love you!